Welcome to your Refresher Course on Basic Training asynchronous session! Before you proceed with the course proper, we strongly advise you to read through the guidelines covered during the orientation. Take note of the requirements before proceeding to the synchronous sessions, as well as into the face-to-face on-site classes.
The Basic Training Refresher Course (BTRC) is in compliance with the requirements of STCW Regulation VI/1 and Section A-VI/1. At the end of this course, trainees will be able to:
Under personal survival techniques
- don and use an immersion suit;
- safely jump from a height into the water;
- swim while wearing a life jacket;
- right an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket; and
- keep afloat without a life jacket.
Under fire prevention and fire fighting
- use various types of portable fire extinguishers;
- extinguish smaller fires, e.g., electrical fires, oil fires, propane fires;
- extinguish extensive fires with water using jet and spray nozzles;
- extinguish fires with foam, powder or any other suitable chemical agent;
- enter and pass through, with lifeline but without breathing apparatus, a compartment into which high-expansion foam has been injected;
- fight fires in smoke-filled enclosed spaces wearing self-contained breathing apparatus;
- extinguish fires with water fog or any other suitable fire-fighting agent in an accommodation room or simulated engine-room with fire and heavy smoke; and
- extinguish oil fires with fog applicator and spray nozzles, dry chemical powder or foam applicators.