The SHIPS’ CATERING NC III (SHIPS’ COOKS) Qualification consists of competencies that a person must achieve in managing all galley operations, including both the procurement of supplies and practical food production in compliance with the national and international requirements for the duration and nature of the voyage. It also includes competencies in serving proper quantities of
quality nutritious food that fulfills cultural, religious and hygiene requirements including storing and handling food hygienically.
This Qualification is packaged in compliance with Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) 2006 Standard A3.2 and Approved ILO Guidelines on The Training of Ships’ Cooks.
The Units of Competencies comprising this Qualification include the following:
BASIC COMPETENCIES – these competencies are covered in a separate module and may be embedded in the core competencies
COMMON COMPETENCIES – Applicant-trainee who already possesses relevant certificate of training and/or certificate of competency in Basic Training (BT) and Ship Security Awareness and Seafarers with Designated Security Duties (SSA/SDSD) Training shall not be required to undergo training/ certification on Common Competencies.
- MTM512329 Prepare Nutritionally – and Health-Balanced Calendar Menu
- MTM512330 Demonstrate Practical Cookery
- MTM512331 Practice Food Safety, Sanitation and Hygiene
- MTM512332 Observe Workplace Health and Safety Practices
- MTM512333 Implement Waste Management and Disposal System
- MTM512334 Supervise/Administer Galley Area